- This event has passed.
Advanced Command Line
August 5, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Knowing how to use the command line of your computer can save you a lot of time. In this advanced workshop, you will learn how to navigate the Unix terminal, process files, set permissions, etc. The only thing you need is a Mac or Linux laptop (you can use Windows if you can’t access a Linux machine). Topics to be covered include:
- File manipulation (ls, pwd, mv, mkdir, cat, sort, uniq)
- File system (which, df, du)
- Slicing text files (cut, head, tail, split, column)
- Compression/decompression (tar, gzip, zcat, zless)
- Other helpful commands (date, echo, alias)
- System variables ($HOME, $PWD, $USER)
- and More!
This is an intermediate workshop in the Computer Skills series, and the second of a two-part series. This part will cover more of tar/gzip, cat/cut/head/tail, awk, Perl one-liners, and other more advanced commands